If you hate freeway traffic, and wish to commute by surface streets only, then this book is for you. "Freeway Alternates" is the single most authoritative and comprehensive guide to off-freeway commuting in Southern California -- covering Los Angeles and Orange Counties, as well as some areas of Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura Counties. It depicts 101 separate maps displaying over 400 surface street routes.
This book consists of 95% maps, along with corresponding turn-by-turn directions. For explanations on how to beat traffic in general, and other helpful commuting pointers, please click on the " Beat L.A. Traffic" button.
"Freeway Alternates" is available from any on-line bookseller, or on order from most book stores.
Freeway Alternates Author: David Rizzo (Dr. Roadmap) Publisher: Gem Guides Book Co. Upland, California ISBN 0-935182-45-4
NOTE: Freeway Alternates was published in 1990. Since then, several changes (such as the Century Freeway) have affected some of the alternate routes depicted in the book. In 1996, several updates were made. They do NOT appear in the book, but follow immediately below. A copy of these changes is included with any copy of "Freeway Alternates" purchased from this site.
Also note that despite its age, this book offers lesser-known alternates that are rarely, if at all, divulged anywhere else. It is highly unlikely that any book of this scope will ever be attempted again, making the few remaining copies that much more unique.
1. Agoura Rd. is now open between Lost Hills and Liberty Canyon.
3. Wier Canyon Rd. is now called Yorba Linda Blvd. at La Palma Ave.
4. Note that State College Blvd. is called The City Dr. where it meets Lewis St. Also, see update for map number 3.
5. In this area, Sunset Blvd. is now called Cesar Chavez Ave.
6. From the SOUTHWEST, to stay on Workman Mill Rd., you must turn right when it meets Peck Rd., then left when it meets Crossroads Pkwy.
8. Rimerton Rd. is now called Skirball Center Dr.
9. Use Greenleaf Ave., not Dickens.
11. See update for map number 5.
12. See update for map number 8.
14. See update for map number 8.
18. From the NORTH, to stay on Workman Mill Rd. you must turn right at Crossroads pkwy., then left at Peck Rd.
20. From the WEST, only go one mile on Green River Rd., then turn left at Palasades Dr. When it dead ends at Serfas Club Dr., turn left. Also, see update for map number 3.
22. From the EAST, only go 1/4 mile on Rodeo Rd., then turn right at Hayden Ave. Go another 1/4 mile and turn left at Natonal Blvd. It's just 1/4 mile more to Washington Blvd.
24. From the NORTH, only travel 3 miles on Santiago Canyon Rd. Then you must turn right at Jamboree Rd. Then make an immediate left to continue onto Santiago Canyon Rd.
25. See update for map number 3.
30. From the NORTH, you must turn right at Sierra Madre Blvd. to continue on San Marino Ave.
37. See update for map number 5.
39. From the SOUTH, only go 1/2 mile on Madison St. Turn left at Skypark Dr. When it quickly meets Hawthorne Blvd., turn right. Go 1 mile and then turn right at Sepulveda Blvd. Go 1 more mile, then turn left at Maple Ave.
43. Ganesha Blvd. is now caled Fairplex Dr.
44. See update for map number 5. But by Elysian Park Ave., Sunset Blvd. regains its name.
52. See update for map number 5.
58. See update for map number 5.
63. See update for map number 18.
64. See update for map number 43.
65. See update for map number 3.
67. See update for map number 5.
74. From the NORTH – Hawthorne, after you turn left at Madison St., only go 1/4 mile. Then turn right at Lomita Blvd. Go just 1/4 mile. Then turn left on Hawthorne Blvd. Go another 1/4 mile and turn left at Skypark Dr. After 1/4 mile more, turn right at Madison to continue.
79. See update for map number 30.
91. From the WEST, when Centinela Ave. meets Jefferson Blvd., you must turn left. Go 1/4 mile then turn right at Centinela to continue.
92. From the WEST, head northeast on Washington Blvd., then turn right at National Blvd. After 1/2 mile it becomes Jefferson Blvd. Continue 3 more miles then turn right at Arlington Ave. Also, see update for map number 5.
94. See update for map number 43.
95. From the SOUTH, take Fairfax Ave. all the way to West Hollywood.
96. From the SOUTH, go 1 and 1/2 miles on La Cienega Blvd., then turn left at Jefferson Blvd. Go straight for 1/4 mile and it becomes National Blvd. Go straight for 1 and 1/2 miles then turn right on Manning Ave. It ends at Olympic.
98. From the SOUTH, go 1 and 1/4 miles on Manning Ave., then turn left onto Pico Blvd., not Missouri Ave.